Public Safety Specialist
Company: City of Racine
Posted on: November 21, 2022
Library 75 7th Street, WI
POSITION PURPOSE:Racine Public Library is a learning institution
dedicated to equity, diversity, inclusion, anti-racism and
community-building . It is expected that all employees be flexible,
responsive to change, and take a leadership role when necessary.
Employees will contribute to a positive customer experience with
the public and co-workers. Essential duties may change in response
to evolving community needs. This position reports to the Business
Manager and is responsible for actively ensuring a welcoming, safe,
secure and pleasant work environment for community members and
staff through the enforcement of policies and procedures,
preventing any potential conflicts from escalating and resolving
disruptive behavior through proactive customer engagement,
dialogues, and positive interactions while keeping in mind the
Library's objectives for access and equitable treatment for all.
This position is a part-time, 15-20 hours per week position
- Engages with community members and staff in a positive and
- Provides excellent customer services to all community members
- Proactively engages with community members to address issues in
order to build rapport and quickly de-escalate situations and
- Circulates among visitors, community members, and employees to
ensure a safe and positive environment and customer experience.
Greets members, answers directional questions, and assists those
- Secures premises and personnel by patrolling property;
monitoring surveillance equipment; inspecting the building,
equipment, and access points.
- Assists in opening, closing, and securing the Main
- Makes rounds during open hours, examining doors and windows,
and monitoring for potential facility problems. Reports all
facility problems to the Stationary Engineer.
- Interprets and communicates the Library's policies and
procedures to the public in a customer-friendly manner.
- Responds quickly to requests for security presence during
critical incidents (i.e. assisting staff in de-escalating
situations with community members, being a presence in the event of
threat against staff, etc.)
- Writes reports and gathers information to be shared with staff
and that may be used in a court of law.
- Contacts police as needed, including filing complaints and
making court appearances.
- Participates in all staff training, as well as any required
safety and security training and meetings as a representative of
- May participate in training of new safety staff members.
- Refers patrons to the Library's social worker and other
community resources when appropriate.
- Contributes to a positive work environment by being helpful,
respectful, and approachable to both staff and the public.
- Reads professional literature and maintains working knowledge
of latest trends in the field of library security.
- Provides support to the Library's Maintenance staff as
needed.OTHER DUTIES: This position description is not designed to
cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or
responsibilities that are required of the employee for this
position. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at
any time with or without notice.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working
relationships with a diverse group of community members and staff
throughout the Library and outside the organization.
- Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
efforts of all colleagues and library members regardless of age,
cultural background, ability, ethnicity, gender identity,
immigration status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, and socioeconomic status.
- Must have highly effective communication skills with the
ability to proactively diffuse and de-escalate situations.
- Demonstrate positive, proactive customer service skills.? Has
the ability to remain calm and have sound judgment in a crisis
- Has excellent observation skills.
- Ability to multitask many variable duties, requests, and
- Demonstrates basic technology and computer skills and has the
ability and willingness to adapt to new technologies.
- Ability to read, understand, and interpret manuals, policies
and procedures, rules, regulations, memos, letters, reports, and
- Ability to pass a background check.
- Demonstrated passion for and investment in the Racine
- Handles and responds to concerns, complaints, and difficult
situations with patience and tact.
- Must be able and willing to work a flexible schedule, including
evenings, weekends, and after-hours.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment in the execution of
job responsibilities, often with minimal supervision.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with
library staff, community agencies, and the public to assist in
building a safe, community-oriented environment for all.
- Skill in addressing the needs of people experiencing
homelessness and other vulnerable individuals.
- Ability to assist in developing the Library's service and
Leadership Team's infrastructure to achieve our objectives.
- Ability to work in a noisy, stressful and constantly changing
- Seeks, accepts, and incorporates feedback and direction.
- Demonstrates compassion, equity, and a restorative approach in
dealing with conflict, rather than a punitive approach.
- Is eager to pursue continued education on best practices in
restorative justice and other relevant methodologies.
- Ability to communicate effectively in Spanish, both orally and
in writing, desirable
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands
described here are representative of those which must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this
job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals
with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee is subject to both inside and outside
- Ability to perform heavy manual labor including lifting and
moving heavy objects, bending and stooping.
- Walking, standing, sitting, keyboarding, talking, listening,
- Ability to lift chairs and tables, and to deliver heavy
materials and equipmentEQUIPMENT USED: Computer, phone, tablet,
walkie-talkies, photocopy machine, self-checkout machine, scanner,
and other equipment not specifically identified.
Keywords: City of Racine, Racine , Public Safety Specialist, Other , Racine, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!